Cue the Tears

Friday, June 14, 2013

I dropped Vinny off at daycare school yesterday like any other morning.  I chatted with his teacher for a minute, kissed him on the forehead, told him I loved him and then proceeded to walk towards the door.  Half way to the door I was forced to stop in my tracks.  A blood curdling scream and huge crocodile tears were streaming down Vinny's face.  His arms were up, reaching for me.  And that's when my heart broke into a million little pieces. 

Separation anxiety has kicked in.  Cue the tears. 

I scooped him up, consoled him for a few minutes and then put him back down in front of some toys.  His teacher distracted him while I made the great escape out the door.  I felt horrible that I had to literally sneak out of the room.  I got into my car and drove to work with pools of tears welled up in my eyes. 

Today's drop off was the same scenario as yesterday's.  Tears, tears, tears. 

It's so hard.  My heart breaks and then I start feeling like such a horrible parent.  These are the days I long to be able to be a stay at home mama.  Someday, someday.  I hope. 

So today I did what any new mom would do.  I googled separation anxiety for a 9 month old.  And that's when I instantly felt like a failure.  So many sites say sneaking out the door is a horrible approach. 

So my question is, what do you do when this happens.  What have you found effective? 

And since I'm talking about tears I thought it would be only fitting to share a few outtakes from our recent family session...


2 comments:

Cora said...

First, those pics are presh. Second, Jaren started the whole separation anxiety phase at the same age. It was bad, so bad I asked my ped about it and, good news for you, you are doing the right thing. I know how you feel, it sucks. Remember this phase will pass, hang in there!

Freckles Chick said...

Aw, those pics are AWESOME, lol!

That's so tough, my friend. Fwiw, separation anxiety kicked in for Quinn around that time, too (even with me being a SAHM!). I couldn't even leave Q with her own daddy to go run an errand without her screaming hysterically. These days, I give her a kiss & a quick goodbye & tell her I'll see her soon then make my exit. Lingering goodbyes make it worse for Q. Some days are better than others, but as with anything, it does get better (even though it'll feel like eons before it does). Just stay consistent!! It's such an emotional time!

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger